Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Aeolus

My Darling Penelope,
I am so very sorry Penelope. I saw the island ahead that we live and i let you down. We had ran out of water so i had to stop at Aeolia to get some. Aeolus gives me a gift, "...a sack containing all of the winds except the west wind" (Homer 999). He sent me off with this bag and told me not to open it. My men thought that i was hiding something from them when i got on the boat with the bag. The were curious about it and would always try to open it behind my back. So i would never go to sleep, I stayed awake for 2 days so i could get home. Then i just lost my strenght. While I was asleep my foolish men opened up the bag and it made a huge storm, some of my men were thrown over oard and vanished, but many servived.
I am so ashamed of myself for letting you down. I shouldnt of lost my strentgh for you. I should of kept going.
We ended being sent back to Aeolia and Aeolus has sent us back out ashamed of us. We have been sailing for 6 days now and i dont know where he is sending us.


-Odysseus

No comments: